Town School for Boys seeks a full time, year-round Director of Development and Alumni. Located in San Francisco, Town School for Boys is a K-8 independent day school. Since its founding in 1939, Town School is committed to providing a dynamic and engaging environment that suits the developmental learning needs of boys. An intensive academic program is supplemented by fine arts offerings and outdoor education trips that take advantage of the school's Bay Area coastal location. Town School values academic excellence, respect for self and others, diversity and inclusivity, service learning, and character development. Town places a high value on maintaining a creative, collegial atmosphere among faculty members.
We are seeking a highly-motivated, experienced Director of Development and Alumni to lead Town School’s development and alumni programs. The Director of Development will inherit a cohesive, collaborative development team with significant experience, and will join the school as Town begins a new chapter in its 77-year history, with Lorri Hamilton Durbin as Head of School. The Director of Development will have an opportunity to help create and to help implement new strategic initiatives for the school.
- Reports directly to the Head of School, is a member of the Senior Administrative Team, and participates on the Board of Trustees’ Development Committee
- Collaboratively plans, implements, and supervises a comprehensive fundraising program designed to secure significant financial resources from trustees, parents, alumni, foundations and others to support Town School’s mission and strategic priorities
- Oversees all fundraising efforts and programs, including Annual Giving, special fundraising events, major gifts programs, capital campaigns, planned giving, donor prospecting and research, and office administration
- Leads and coordinates the efforts of the development team and volunteers in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors
- Guides and supports the Head of School in fundraising activities
- Helps to structure and lead future significant capital campaign
- Attends and participates in a variety of fundraising, stewardship, community-building, and other campus events throughout the year in order to stay informed and updated on school activities
- Extensive fundraising experience with impressive results, preferably including work on a capital campaign
- Significant management and leadership experience, preferably in an independent educational institution
- A successful record of collaborating with, motivating, inspiring, and managing a team
- Proven negotiation, analytical, and problem-solving abilities
- Working Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge and G Suite/Google products
Leadership and Management experience:
- A charismatic leader whose approach to development/advancement creates enthusiasm for Town School from all constituents.
- Strong management experience, including the ability to motivate, lead, set objectives and manage the performance of a team. Ability to foster an environment of creativity, collaboration, and professional growth in a convivial work atmosphere.
- Ability to manage and lead administrative, professional and volunteer staff and department, including training and professional development. Establishes clear directions and sets goals, objectives and benchmarks.
- Ability to design, implement and direct multiple projects.
- Ability to think strategically, creating plans that reflect best practice but also creative, fresh approaches. Comfortable making strategic decisions based on analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment.
- Ability to relate well to all constituents in an elementary school environment, including trustees, administrators and staff, faculty, parents, students and alumni.
- Ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision and sense of core purpose.
- Ability to inspire, motivate and marshal resources throughout the Town community.
Fundraising & Campaign Experience
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in advancement and effective independent school fundraising practices.
- Proven success in asking for, closing, and coaching others on fundraising for annual needs to strategic capital campaigns, as well as building and maintaining long-term relationships with major individual donors, foundations and corporations in an independent school environment.
- Experience helping to plan, lead, and execute a successful large capital campaign.
- Working and effective understanding of the basics of charitable gift planning. Knowledge of more advanced gift planning concepts a plus.
- Broad financial responsibility includes setting fundraising objectives, evaluating results and developing corrective strategies as needed.
- Knowledge of effective independent school fundraising practices.
Communications & Interpersonal Skills
- High emotional intelligence, with the ability to enthuse others about Town School’s goals and objectives, developing constructive and long lasting relationships with all constituents.
- Superb communications and presentation skills, both oral and written, with the ability to persuasively convey Town’s mission to diverse groups, including major donors, board members, and others critical to Town’s advancement.
- Ability to communicate effectively with influential people.
- Able to listen, thoughtfully taking multiple perspectives into account while continuing toward a mutually beneficial goal for Town School.
- Appreciation for and a desire to participate fully in the dynamic life of an elementary school community.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to: Lorri Hamilton Durbin Head of School Town School for Boys 2750 Jackson Street San Francisco, CA 94115 firstname.lastname@example.org
Town School for Boys www.townschool.com
Mission: At Town School learning is prized, love of school is essential, and boyhood is celebrated.
Philosophy: As an all boys’ school, Town provides a rich, challenging and rigorous educational experience that addresses the distinctive energy levels and developmental styles of boys. Town values being a diverse community that nurtures integrity, sensitivity and respect in its boys, and prepares them to become productive and contributing members of an ever-changing world.
Core Values. We value learning and academic excellence. We support and encourage each boy to do his best while helping him discover his strengths and talents. We value programs that balance academic effort, social interaction, physical activity and artistic expression while embracing character education. We value respect for ourselves and others. We model integrity, honesty and kindness in our daily lives and we take responsibility for our own actions. We value diversity, which brings the variety of perspectives that are integral to an excellent education and a dynamic community. We believe it is essential that every member of the community is equally valued and included in the life of the school. We value commitment to community service. We seek opportunities to improve our greater community through volunteer activities sponsored by the school as part of our role as good citizens.
Non-Discrimination Policy: Town School for Boys admits students of any race, color, religion, or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, athletic and other school-administered programs. Town School for Boys is an equal opportunity employer. Salary and benefits are commensurate with our peer schools in the San Francisco Bay Area and with like NAIS schools.
About Town School for Boys
Since its founding in 1939, Town School is committed to providing a dynamic and engaging environment that suits the developmental learning needs of boys. An intensive academic program is supplemented by fine arts offerings and outdoor education trips that take advantage of the school's Bay Area coastal location. Town School values academic excellence, respect for self and others, diversity and inclusivity, service learning, and character development. Town places a high value on maintaining a creative, collegial atmosphere among faculty members. There is an expectation of continuous growth and improvement for all faculty and strong support for a wide range of professional development opportunities.