The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With a little more than 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. UC Merced is also building the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building in the heart of Merced.
This position acts as the business officer for the Center for Educational Partnerships (CEP) at UC Merced. This position reports to the Director AND Assistant Director(s) of the Center for Educational Partnerships (CEP) and is responsible for overseeing administrative functions for the department including budgeting for operational funds, general accounting and invoicing as well as financial reconciliations; departmental procurement and inventories; executive level support for the department and the Director; personnel actions processing and payroll/timekeeping; compliance with UC Policy and Procedures; space and computer systems management. The position requires a broad base of technical knowledge and highly effective communication and problem solving abilities. The Business Officer interacts with students, peers and other managers across campus departments as needed and also takes direction from the CEP Director and Assistant Director(s), or the Director of Administrative Operations for Student Affairs.
The Business Officer must have demonstrated experience in organizing an office and expertise in computer programs (Microsoft programs and web-based applications). The incumbent must have strong communication and organizational skills, and must be flexible and able to prioritize workload. Background and knowledge regarding travel and entertainment policy and procedures is highly desirable. Writes, edits and proofreads correspondence, grants and reports. Analyzes correspondence and ensures that follow up actions are completed. As primary contact and resource for the respective unit, handles confidential information, including policies and regulations with respect to labor relations and collective bargaining as necessary. Serves as primary contact for business issues that may arise in the office. The position involves interaction with UC Merced senior staff, faculty, and other administrators including those at the campuses and at the Office of the President.
• Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training required.
• Masters degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training preferred.
• Working knowledge of common campus-specific and other computer application programs.
• Ability to utilize computerized applications for word processing and spreadsheets, as well as web-based financial applications required.
• Solid communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing required.
• Solid organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
• Ability to manage workload, both independently and as part of a team and the ability to meet deadlines and deal with stressful situations required.
• Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality required.
• Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns required.
• Demonstrated experience in office management, accounting, and budgeting required.
• Demonstrated excellent analytical skills.
• Ability to analyze complex issues and prepare concise reports and the ability to use internet and other resources for information gathering required.
• Strong leadership skills including facilitation and presentation skills and excellent oral written communication skills required.
• Knowledge of university policies and procedures strongly preferred.
UC Merced is the first new American research university built in the 21st century, with a mission of research, teaching and service. The campus opened Sept. 5, 2005, in the San Joaquin Valley. The university is about an hour north of Fresno, two hours south of Sacramento, two hours southeast of San Francisco and the Silicon Valley, and 90 minutes west of Yosemite National Park.