Cal Poly is Seeking On-Call Laborers for University Housing!
The On-Call Laborer performs a wide range of tasks related to delivery, assembly, loading and unloading of supplies, furnishings, appliances, and assist all department entities with various tasks associated with general unskilled manual labor.
The following examples illustrate typical work activities and are not meant to be all inclusive or restrictive:
1. Move and transport objects such as, equipment, materials, and supplies; assist in campus event set-up; and load and unload equipment, supplies, and materials.
2. Perform tasks related to the set-up, operation, and tear-down of resident Move-In and Move-Out events and activities. Assist with the processing and coordination of conference linens, mattress installations, and donation collections.
3. Clean assigned areas, including such activities as removing construction debris; cleaning gutters, culverts, and other drainage structures; power washing assigned areas; clean swimming pools, sidewalks, entry ways, stairways, interior and exterior windows, roadsides, streets, and related areas; cleaning applicable equipment; and assisting in other cleaning projects.
4. Remove and haul waste and recyclables from areas of central aggregation, special events, and special clean-up sites.
5. Provide assistance with implementing pest control measures, which may include: setting mice traps, placing ant and cockroach bait, assisting with bed bug clean-up, corralling wildlife, etc.
6. Assist crafts and construction workers by performing unskilled tasks such as preparing work areas; performing rough repair work; tearing down structures; patching pavement; and performing pick and shovel work, driving dump truck or moving equipment.
7. Assist in grounds maintenance, including such activities as removing undergrowth and debris; and using a spade, hoe, or rake to prepare or clean assigned areas.
8. Operate and perform basic preventive maintenance on appropriate hand and powered equipment and tools, supplies, and materials.
9. Perform mending of upholstered goods and simple repairs to office and household furniture.
10. Perform monthly vehicle fleet cleaning, confirm basic operational function and report suspect conditions of basic operational, report mileage, tire pressures, and physical damages.
11. Must operate motor vehicles to transport and deliver heavy or other items.
12. Perform the full range of custodial work to include: clean and disinfect restrooms, locker rooms, and showers; replenish supplies including paper products, hand soaps, urinal chemicals and waterless urinal components; dust and clean glass doors, windows, blinds, graffiti, furniture and upholstery, light fixtures, stairwells, walkways and elevators; straighten and rearrange furniture; provide custodial support for activities such as respond to custodial/cleaning emergencies; safeguard assigned areas from unauthorized use and access by locking and unlocking doors and windows; arrange and set furniture, equipment and related items. Identify and report equipment, supply and repair needs. Identify and order necessary supplies and materials from warehouse.
13. Prepare and submit labor cards and work orders.
Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only):
Any combination of training, experience, and/or education sufficient to demonstrate the required qualifications.
Licenses, Certificates, Degrees, Credentials: Possession of a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
1. Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for the duties of the position. 2. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions to ensure safety. 3. Ability to perform regular strenuous manual labor. Ability to learn and apply safe methods of moving heavy objects such as tables, chairs, risers, trash cans, furniture, and other equipment for special events. 4. Working knowledge of the common terminology, methods, practices, tools and procedures related to building and facility services. 5. Ability to respond to emergency situations and to secure the area from safety hazards. 6. Knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn how to operate and maintain fork lifts, hand and powered construction and custodial equipment, electric carts, utility trucks, tow trailers and use various hand tools. 7. Working knowledge of standard custodial/housekeeping methods, procedures and practices, including knowledge of cleaning equipment, chemicals, and hazardous materials. 8. Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism. 9. Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems. 10. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications within a diverse population, strong listening and interpretive skills, and the ability to deal positively with unexpected developments and diverse perspectives in and outside the University. 11. Ability to maintain high quality/standards of work, ethics, commitment, and professional responsibility. 12. Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing. 13. Ability to follow schedules and meet essential deadlines by prioritizing assignments. 14. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safety in the work place and ability to observe understand and apply safety practices and procedures. 15. Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures. 16. Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality. 17. Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
1. Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude. 2. Ability to safely drive or learn to drive a vehicle with manual (standard) transmission.
Must be able to operate a vehicle in California with a valid CA driver's license.
Must be able to pass a forklift driver training course.
Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
Must be able to perform regular strenuous activity and safely move heavy items in excess of 50 pounds.
Must be able to work around hazardous materials, including asbestos.
Must be able to work safely in an indoor and outdoor environment and wear appropriate safety attire applicable to the task performed (i.e. life jacket, safety harness, face mask, goggles, etc.).
Must be able to perform work involving, but not limited to, lifting, carrying, and maneuvering heavy objects; squatting, climbing, kneeling, twisting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
Must be willing to attend University, Cal/OSHA, or other required safety trainings.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the Executive Order 1083 requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
This position classification has been defined as 'Non-exempt' and is subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
May be required to complete a Supplemental Employment Application Questionnaire, which contains questions pertaining to conviction history, and submit it when requested by Cal Poly. This disclosure is confidential and will not necessarily preclude applicants from employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and wellbeing, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
About Us Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university, with approximately 17,500 undergraduate, 120 post-baccalaureate, and 900 graduate students. The Cal Poly community fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students, staff, and faculty are partners in discovery. Cal Poly has built an exemplary reputation on its learn-by-doing approach to the preparation of undergraduate and graduate students. It is a distinctive learning community offering academically focused students a hands-on educational experience that prepares them for today's scientific and technical world. Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. U.S. News and World Report has ranked Cal Poly #1 among public master's universities in the western United States for 24 consecutive years. The University values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. As a campus, we welcome and nurture a rich array of different perspectives, ideas and cultures. We encourage international an...d multi-cultural education in order to prepare students for successful participation and competition in a diverse world and a global workforce. We believe that diversity of our students, faculty, and staff enlivens and enriches Cal Poly’s educational environment.