Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
ABOUT THE JOB
We have a unique opportunity for an experienced Systems Support Manager to be at the ground floor of the implementation of an Oracle Cloud Financial system at UC Merced. We are looking for someone with an extensive systems support management background and we have a strong preference for a candidate whose experience includes Oracle Cloud Financial in a production environment, Oracle On Premises and/or Enterprise Performance Management Cloud (Planning & Budget).
Reporting to the Executive Director of Financial Systems Support within Business and Financial Services, the Financial Systems Support Manager plans, manages, and controls the activities of subordinate staff that provides functional/technical expertise in identifying, evaluating, and developing systems and procedures that are cost effective and meet user requirements. The Functional Systems Support Manager achieves departmental goals by managing a Functional Services Support team of Business Analysts providing functional/technical support to Finance and Administration system owners, functional owners and end users of supported systems.
The Functional Systems Support Manager is a higher level functional/technical role focused on leading a functional/technical team that is responsible for the delivery, analysis and maintenance of a variety of business systems, including enterprise systems, information systems, applications and/or data solutions. Through subordinate supervisors and staff, the Functional Systems Support Manager is directly responsible for ensuring the successful day-to-day management of the operation of existing systems and applications to ensure effective functioning of distribution and customer support of Finance and Administration supported systems.
1) Has significant responsibility for setting strategic direction and determining the overall objectives for the portfolio of functional/technical work for assigned unit within the Financial Systems Support department. Decides how to use resources and provides guidance to subordinates to meet schedules and achieve departmental goals. Manages, selects, develops, mentors and evaluates personnel ensuring efficient operation of assigned unit. Manage all aspects of support for assigned business systems applications support and operations including planning, designing, implementing, supporting and maintaining various functions. Makes recommendations and implements decisions on issues (operational and budget processes, staff FTE, finance, human resources and space planning) that have department and division impact.
2) Advises leadership on management of and strategic investment in information systems, data solutions and assets. Identifies opportunities and determines functional/technical architecture for systems and applications within assigned unit and maintains the unit's portion of system application inventory and knowledge management platform to optimize solutions and achieve organizational objectives. Guides Financial Systems Support team and other system stakeholder issues encountered and make recommendations in the design and implementation of solutions.
3) Establishes and manages protocols and processes for systems access, provisioning and security role management for applications within the Division of Finance and Administration. Is responsible for establishing and maintaining appropriate service management protocols for each supported system assigned to the unit. Responsible to ensure assigned team follows standards for development tools, platforms, methodology and controls to ensure efficiency, quality and consistency in supporting Finance and Administration systems. Serves as the domain expert in accordance with functional/technical units' team assigned systems. Responsible for system management, enhancement, provisioned access, and issue resolution. Maintain control of security provisioning for supported systems. Under the oversight of the Executive Director of Financial Systems Support, partners closely with Business/Functional teams, subject matter experts, outside vendors and the Office of Information Technology local and from other UC Campuses in the build, testing and implementation of supported systems. Brings expertise and/or identifies subject matter experts in support of multi-functional efforts to identify, interpret, and produce recommendations based on company system's needs. Mentors direct reports and other colleagues in problem identification, and utilizing systems, methodologies, tools, and techniques. May represents Financial Systems Support on campus-wide work groups.
4) Provides leadership, direction, and expertise to systems support and maintenance as well as is an informed stakeholder on systems implementation projects. Identifies business challenges and uses data analysis to help influence changes to the operations, process or programs through the collection of data from identified service issues. Partners with systems stakeholders to understand their functions and ensure the system is delivering on their functional and data needs. Serve as an active participant on cross-functional project teams and provides guidance and training to teams in asking appropriate questions, interpreting data, and translating into action.
Qualifications: - Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, CIS, Economics or other related discipline AND 5 years of directly related experience or 9 years of directly related equivalent training, experience and education
- Certifications such as Lean Six Sigma Certification-Green Belt (preferred).
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES:
- Experience in Oracle Financials Cloud, Oracle Enterprise Planning and Cloud Service.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, a demonstrated ability to elicit functional and nonfunctional requirements from end users and provide high quality requirements to technical team members, a demonstrated ability to convey complex technical issues to non-technical end-users to facilitate high quality requirements.
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization, an inclusive style that ensures that all members of the project team and other key individuals have a voice in requirements and solution design, demonstrated ability to incorporate many points of view and maintain flexibility when finding solutions to challenges.
- Provides insight re: problem solving by offering novel approaches and incorporating new technologies, ability to design and lead (research, analyze data, interpret results, and provide summaries of same) projects and carry them to completion against a timeline.
- Highly efficient at time management and prioritization; able to help the group establish timelines to accomplish complex tasks; ability to troubleshoot problems and generate effective solutions, may be a member of cross functional teams and provide counsel and guidance re: possible uses of technology.
- Expert knowledge of financial applications development with an emphasis on workflows, implementations, maintenance, interfaces and other functional/technical functions.
- Ability to effectively report on application development resources for projects, maintenance and break fix tasks.
- Ability to understand the agendas of other functions, groups and business units and to integrate that understanding into the decision-making process of the team.
- Ability to efficiently leverage the different talents, attributes and skills of diverse employees.
- Skill in recognizing trends, patterns and events that result in new and innovative opportunities.
To Apply: Visit the link below to use our new on-line application system.
If you do not have internet access you may mail your application, resume, and cover letter to: University of California, Merced, 5200 North Lake Rd., Merced CA 95343. Please list the job number on the subject line.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction
As of January 1, 2014 the University of California, Merced will be a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu
E-Verify: Effective September 8, 2009, all employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
UC Merced is the first new American research university built in the 21st century, with a mission of research, teaching and service. The campus opened Sept. 5, 2005, in the San Joaquin Valley. The university is about an hour north of Fresno, two hours south of Sacramento, two hours southeast of San Francisco and the Silicon Valley, and 90 minutes west of Yosemite National Park.