Primary Purpose: Under general supervision performs more complex work up to but below journey level and skilled trade's people in trades such as Plumbing, Carpentry, Building Maintenance, Electrical, Painting and HVAC. Employees may perform routine, minor repairs and other tasks independently. Duties and assignments requiring use of considerable independent judgement, including a higher level of skill to perform at the Group III level.
Essential Functions: 1. Performs minor paint touch-ups, and assists journey level staff in various painting projects.
2. Performs basic carpentry tasks including but not limited to: Repairing door and door handles in emergency situations, safe-off, fix or replace broken windows, performs basic housing related service requests such as repairing/installing towel racks, blinds cabinet drawers etc. May assist with stage set-ups.
3. Performs simple repairs and clearing of minor drain clogs, and assists journey level plumbers with plumbing duties.
4. Performs filter changes, and assists journey level HVAC technicians with maintenance on HVAC equipment. Performs scheduling of HVAC Controls as directed.
5. Assists trade personnel in general maintenance, construction, remodels, and preventative maintenance on campus buildings.
6. Assist Lock, Alarm and Fire techs with basic related maintenance and repair. Basic knowledge/understanding about fire systems and panels.
7. Works closely with the University Alarm/Communication Specialist and attains sufficient knowledge and training to be capable of performing basic responsibilities of that position on routine and emergency basis.
8. Tests, repairs, and replace emergency lights; replace batteries on emergency lights and exit signs, replaces light bulbs, covers and ballasts; setup and take down electrical cords for special events, and assists journey level Electricians. Work could involve assisting with underground trenching/utility locating.
9. Delivers supplies or runs errands in support of unit staff or project.
10. Performs other duties as assigned or requested by shop leads or supervisors.
Duties and responsibilities listed above are typical of those assigned; they are not intended to be exclusive but rather to reflect the level of work performed.
Minimum Qualifications: High School diploma or GED. Two (2) years experience as trade apprentice.
Preferred Qualifications: Two (2) years junior college trade training or related professional certification desired. Ability to perform at a skilled level and exercise a high level of independent judgement. Possession of Building Operations Certificate (BOC) certification within first eighteen months of employment. Proficient with use of common power tools and hand tools. University will provide required tools. Ability to read and understand instructions. Must be able to perform routine, minor repairs and other tasks independently. Basic Knowledge of HVAC Building Control Systems. Must possess basic computer skills.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to climb ladders and work at heights, on scaffolds and other above ground locations such as roofs. Must be able to lift/carry up to 70lbs. Must be able to push/pull force up to 70lbs. Constant standing and walking. Frequent bending, kneeling, squatting and climbing. Occasional reaching above the shoulders or use of hands in gripping motion.
Requires Asbestos Physical and Respiratory Fit Testing.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed both in and out of doors, at times in confined areas and hot and cold environments. This position is expected to work swing shift which could possibly include weekends.
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Union guidelines, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are required to execute a release and authorization for a background screening.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.