The Facilities Manager assumes the responsibilities and duties to provide the management and direction necessary in the areas of custodial, building maintenance, operations, landscaping and event support to maintain the school’s properties and facilities.
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports To: CFO or Business Officer Positions Supervised: One Facilities Employee
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the knowledge and skills and be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily
Big Picture Responsibilities
• Plan, manage, and direct all phases of the facilities operations • Supervise and oversee implementation of all facilities projects • Provide and maintain a safe, clean, and healthy environment for the studentsand staff of the school • Plan and implement maintenance and renovation of buildings and grounds (including landscaping,
asphalt maintenance, field maintenance – in conjunction with Belmont, amongst other
responsibilities) • Oversee the repair and safety of the buildings, including regular asbestos, electrical, and plumbing
checks and arranging for fire, blower, and furnace inspections • Support major capital projects as an essential member of the project management team
• Maintain facilities department budget and expenditures
• Evaluate our sustainability efforts – how can the school reduce its footprint?
• Annually conduct an asset inventory and evaluate building and equipment condition
• Research bids for administration and procure professional services when needed (electricians, plumbers, pest control, etc.) and work with outside contractors as needed
• Monitor the receipt, maintenance and replacement of capital equipment • Assist in the Security and Emergency planning process and conduct drills as necessary • Ensure a clean and professional presentation of campus – including proper trash and litter maintenance • Purchase necessary building and custodial supplies • Purchase food and other supplies for school events and activities at nearby retailers • Play an important role in school drop-off and dismissal • Coordinate set-ups for school activities • Perform the recruitment, interviewing and hiring of the facilities assistant • Monitor all facilities work to ensure compliance with plans, specifications,building and fire codes, and health and safety • Manage the keys and access program to include assignment, distribution and control of keys • Work with construction managers to maintain safety conditions at all times during renovations • Maintain drawings, plans, manuals, and warranties in an organized and accessible manner • Provide and maintain a working knowledge of any current and ongoing
certificates, registrations, licenses, and other documents Knowledge
• Demonstrated knowledge or experience of budgeting, expense control, architecture, school construction, engineering, plant operations, maintenance management, and school safety
• Knowledge of building, plumbing, power generation and HVAC systems • Knowledge how to operate various electric, gas, and manually powered tools and equipment • Understanding how to perform regular preventive maintenance and cleaning of equipment used –
make repairs, within the scope abilities • Thorough knowledge of custodial equipment • Thorough knowledge of applicable Health & Safety standards, rules and regulations
• Skill in managing personnel and supervising custodial building and ground operations
• Skill in effectively planning and organizing custodial activities
• Skill in cleaning methods and procedures, sanitation, safety, security and lawn and building maintenance • Proficient in English (written and verbal skills)
• Oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated skills in personnel management
• Proven ability to interface with faculty, staff and administration
• Define job performance expectations of facilities assistant and evaluate job performance • Ability to promote efficiency, morale, and teamwork and interaction with fellow staff member
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
• Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions. • Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task. • Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless oftheir age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type. • Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others. • Loyal - The trait of feeling a duty to the employer. • Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy. • Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct. • Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety
• High School Diploma • 2-Year Or 4-Year College/Technical Certification –Desired • 3-5 Years’ Experience as Facilities Supervisor/Manager • Basic Computer Skills, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office and Google Docs • Experience in education preferred
The Facilities Manager must be ability to: lift and/or carry moderate weight (40-50 pounds), sit, stand, walk, climb stairs or ladder, reach, perform repetitive hand motions, hear, speak. There will be some travel within surrounding towns, and he/she may experience prolonged and irregular work hours, and work with frequent interruptions
Inside and outside environment. Climbs ladders, work in high places, work in cramped quarters and under and on buildings. Work in inclement weather. Demanding physical conditions. Must be able to work with potentially hazardous materials in a safe manner and safely perform required duties in potentially hazardous environments.
Other Requirements Must have satisfactory outcome of background and fingerprinting check, prior to starting employment.
About Charles Armstrong School
Charles Armstrong School was founded in 1968 and enrollment has grown to approximately 240 students serving grades 2-8. Charles Armstrong serves high potential students with language-based learning differences, such as dyslexia, empowering them to strive as learners in school and life. Armstrong is recognized as the premier school for LD students in northern California.