San Marcos, California
Newport Beach, California
San Jose, California
Los Angeles, California
Silicon Valley, California
Internal Number: JPF03841
Manglik Lab – Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist (Lab Manager)
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco
The Manglik lab is seeking a Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist to join our group. Our lab’s primary interest is to understand how cells and organisms sense and respond to their outside environment. We study the signaling molecules that enable cells to communicate with each other. We apply biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology, pharmacology, and protein engineering to discover how proteins sense external stimuli and induce cellular signaling. We are especially interested in cellular signaling at the intersection of human health and disease. For example, we have recently shown how molecules act at various receptors at atomic level detail, and have used these insights to engineer new drugs with improved therapeutic properties.
The candidate will be a lab manager and will be expected to manage daily lab operations. Key tasks include ordering supplies, organizing our laboratory space, working with vendors to keep equipment in good shape, ensuring lab safety, maintaining laboratory vector and cell lines, and working with the principal investigator on budgets. These tasks require that the candidate is highly organized and can communicate effectively with a team of ~10 individuals. Additionally, the candidate will be expected to carry out bench research in biochemistry in support of other projects. Exceptional candidates will be able to lead an independent project, engage in collaborative research, and assist in grant applications and manuscript preparation.
• Well-developed organization and communication skills
• Desire to learn new skills, approaches, and techniques
• Aptitude to work independently or collaboratively with others
• Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate tasks with others, and meet deadlines
• Specialists appointed at the Junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) or at least four years of experience in a Life Science Discipline
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant and Associate rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or at least five years of experience in a Life Science Discipline
• Specialists appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or ten or more years of experience in a Life Science Discipline
Candidates must have degree (or years of experience) requirement by time of hire. CV must list pending qualifications.
• Prior experience with protein biochemistry and some exposure to structural biology.
• Prior experience with eukaryotic cell culture techniques.
• Detailed knowledge of molecular biology techniques, including DNA construct design and cloning, DNA purification, immunoprecipitation.
• Experience writing manuscripts and contributing to grant applications.
We are seeking candidates who can provide a 1-year commitment. Significant growth opportunities are available with longitudinal commitment, including ambitious independent research projects, mentorship roles for trainees, and exposure to manuscript and grant writing.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03841 with a CV, cover letter, and the contact information of 3 references.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.