San Francisco, California
Mountain View, California
Los Angeles, California
Solana Beach, California
Santa Cruz, California
Newport Beach, California
Costa Mesa, California
Location: San Francisco, California
Internal Number: JPF04086
Junior or Assistant Specialist - Ashworth Lab
The Ashworth Lab at UCSF is seeking a Junior or Assistant Specialist to work on an ongoing drug discovery project. The selected candidate will assist with experiments and conduct research under the guidance and mentorship of Dr. Abrams and members of the Ashworth Lab. The Specialist will learn and utilize a variety of research techniques and have the opportunity to be a co-author on publications. This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in gaining additional research experience prior to pursuing a biomedical sciences PhD.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Mammalian tissue culture, transfection of reporter genes, generation of stable cell lines, use of chemical probes
* Assay development using fluorescent, luminescent, and colorimetric readouts
* Optimization of biochemical and cell-based high throughput screens (HTS)
* Analysis of HTS data using image processing software, such as CellProfiler
* Mechanism of action studies on hits from drug discovery screens
* Molecular biology and biochemistry experiments including basic cloning, construct design, plasmid preparation, DNA extraction, and protein expression
* Desire to learn new techniques, think critically, analyze results, and plan experiments
* Organized, self-motivated, and enthusiastic about science and medicine
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
* Ability to troubleshoot experiments
* Specialists appointed at the Junior rank must possess a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent degree) or at least four years of relevant research experience.
* Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess a Master's degree (or equivalent degree) or five years of experience in the relevant specialization.
* Applicant must have all requirements met by time of hire.
* Applicant's materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission.
* Mammalian tissue culture experience
* Knowledge of high-throughput drug screens and image analysis techniques
* Training in basic molecular biology techniques, including molecular cloning, nucleic acid isolation, and PCR
* Experience with biochemical assays and/or protein expression.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04086.
See Table 24B (https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/july-2022-salary-scales/t24-b.pdf) for the salary range for this position. A reasonable estimate for this position is $49,000 - $63,000.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.