San Marcos, California
Redwood City, California
San Jose, California
San Francisco, California
Santa Rosa, California
Los Angeles, California
La Jolla, California
Newport Beach, California
Santa Barbara, California
Location: Seaside, California
Internal Number: 3336356
Senior Construction Project Manager/Construction Project Manager
Job no: 517582
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: Monterey Bay
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
CSU Salary Schedule
Hours: Full-time / 40 hours per week
Priority Screening Date: Extended to September 11, 2022
Recruitment Status: Open Until Filled
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,400 students. The university's Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below-market-rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Campus Planning and Development, the Sr. Construction Project Manager or Construction Project Manager is responsible for all efforts associated with successfully managing multiple University development and construction projects. This includes all aspects of project management during the development, planning, design, construction, and closeout phases of the project life cycle. This position is required to collaboratively interface with variety of campus stakeholders including senior administrators, staff, faculty, students, colleagues from the CSU Chancellor's Office, agencies having jurisdiction including those at the Federal, State, and local level, and various professional consultants, contractors, and vendors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages all aspects of assigned projects through the full course of the project life cycle including planning, design, construction, and closeout phases. Independently leads and directs projects requiring high levels of functional integration and involving multiple disciplines to be managed. This includes disciplines associated with real estate development, capital improvements, major maintenance and repair, capital renewal, deferred maintenance, and infrastructure improvements.
- Ensures all assigned projects are managed in alignment with the University's Capital Outlay Plan as well as any corresponding CSU or State of California regulations governing University projects. Coordinates as necessary throughout all project phases with the Planning Team, Campus Deputy Building Official, Construction Administrator, key stakeholders, and others.
- Represents the University by leading and/or collaborating with the project team (campus groups, university officials, project architects, engineers, contractors, inspectors, etc.) during all phases.
- Conducts feasibility studies including needs assessments, programming, conceptual design, environmental and regulatory analysis, cost analysis/financial planning, and similar work efforts required to determine overall project feasibility.
- Reviews and develops a comprehensive scope of work, budget, and schedule. Evaluates and recommends the project delivery method, design documentation needs, necessary consulting services, and other supporting efforts necessary to successfully deliver assigned projects.
- Directly responsible for managing all aspects of the project budget working collaboratively with the Facilities Business Operations Team and the Finance department. To include maintaining accurate expense tracking and cost projections, projecting cash flows, and monitoring trends that affect the timely and cost-effective completion of assigned projects. Proactively brings forward issues or challenges and proposed solutions designed to successfully contain and mitigate risk.
- In collaboration with the Facilities Business Operations Team and Business and Support Services, develops request for proposals/bid packages and other necessary documents required to advertise and award contracts required to complete assigned projects. Participates in the bid evaluation and makes recommendations for award.
- Manages professional service agreements and monitors the work effort of architectural, engineering, testing and inspection, and other professionals contracted by the campus to ensure all services are provided in a timely manner. Tracks and monitors progress and reviews invoices with recommendations for approval or otherwise.
- Develops inspection and regulatory compliance plan for assigned projects. Leads and oversees implementation of such plans including coordination of all required inspections, testing, and other activities. Supervises construction inspectors and consulting engineers and ensures the quality and timeliness of inspections and testing to ensure all code and regulatory requirements are adhered to. Reviews testing and inspection reports and the inspector's daily diary to ensure full understanding of project issues and status. Reports all failed inspections or tests to the Campus.
- Manages construction contracts. Tracks and monitors work in place and reviews pay applications with recommendations for approval or otherwise. Evaluates and makes recommendations concerning proposed contract changes. Ensures ongoing compliance with contractual requirements.
- Acts as a liaison and interfaces with local and regional jurisdictions having authority, regulatory and entitlement agencies, utility providers, and governing bodies. Informs, advises, and recommends course of action necessary achieve approvals or resolve issues or challenges.
Senior Construction Project Manager also leads and directs work of construction project managers and project engineers associated with construction projects, pre-construction coordination, permitting, plan check, and other related work.
- Participates in university task forces and special projects as required.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Broad skills and advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: real estate development, architecture, civil, mechanical or electrical engineering or construction management.
- Thorough knowledge of project management practices including that required to plan, lead and oversee large and complex construction projects and real estate developments. To include in-depth knowledge of typical real estate and public works construction processes, and skill to manage all phases of planning, design and construction of complex projects.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal codes and regulations pertaining to the real estate development and construction industry including understanding of the California Building Code, the American with Disabilities Act and the Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety for the State of California as such pertains to large public works construction projects. Ability to apply such knowledge successfully for assigned projects.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in project scheduling including task/resource loading, and critical path sequencing methods required to run an efficient project. Ability to conduct in-depth analysis and review of complex project schedules to guide adjustment as needed to manage schedule and risk.
- Knowledge in the use of multiple project delivery methods (including design-bid-build, design-build, collaborative design-build, CM at-risk, etc.,) and ability to select appropriate methods based on project plan. Demonstrated experience managing assigned projects within the approved scope and agreed upon schedule and budget expectations including creativity in managing difficult schedule and budget challenges toward successful resolution.
- Demonstrated financial management skills necessary to prepare, manage, oversee, track, and monitor detailed project budgets, analyze funding allocations, evaluate independent cost estimates, and review, track and approve payment requests.
- Demonstrated experience and proven ability procuring, selecting and managing consultants and contractors including maintaining compliance with the contract documents, scope of work, permitted plans, schedule, and budget.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills with proven ability to organize and manage teams, including internal design and operations staff, external contractors and technical consultants.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in the project cost estimating including creation of independent estimates and ability to analyze and review those submitted by others.
- Thorough analytical skills required to ensure adherence to requirements and assure a high level of quality control. Detail oriented to accurately review contracts and other documents necessary to successfully deliver assigned tasks and projects.
- Ability to read and understand proposals, plans, blueprints, process drawings, contracts, purchase orders, and specifications for all phases of construction.
- Experience effectively using personal computer software and electronic communications including digital graphic software for presentations, CAD drafting systems, geographical information systems (GIS), computer-based design and architectural applications, and complex project scheduling and analytical applications.
- Ability to implement a customer (constituent) service approach, with a commitment to high ethical standards and to present work to a wide variety of audiences.
Construction Project Manager
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, real estate development, construction management, business or a related field OR equivalent experience such as might be attained through five years of project management.
- Three to five years project management experience in a lead role for all phases of complex construction projects delivered within budget and schedule requirements.
- Valid driver's license.
Senior Construction Project Manager
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, real estate development, construction management, business or a related field OR equivalent experience such as might be attained through ten years of project management.
- Five years of demonstrated project management experience in a lead role for all phases of complex construction projects delivered within budget and schedule requirements.
- Extensive experience in complex commercial, industrial, and/or institutional construction and/or utility projects.
- Proven experience interpreting and administering complicated rules and regulations.
- Ability to draft concise and factually accurate reports and documents, influence leadership in decision making, and communicate complicated information clearly to leadership both on-campus and in the community.
- Ability and desire to lead teams to successful completion of construction projects to further the University's goals.
- Valid driver's license.
Professional license in architecture, mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering.
LEED AP certification as granted by the US Green Building Council Certified Access Specialist as granted by the Department of the State Architect.
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification as granted by the Project Management Institute (PMI) or Certified Construction Manager (CCM) as granted by the Construction Management Association of America (CMAA).
Two years of experience/training in one or more of the following areas: real estate development, construction project management, cost estimating, scheduling and schedule analysis, contract management, and/or financial analysis/management.
Demonstrated experience managing real estate development and/or construction projects for a State facility, College or University, or other multi-facility commercial complex.
Experience working in a University setting.
Construction Project Manager
- Three to five years of demonstrated project management experience in a lead role for all phases of complex real estate development or capital construction projects.
Senior Construction Project Manager
- Six to ten years of demonstrated project management experience in a lead role for all phases of complex real estate development or capital construction projects.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT AND POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been determine to be a sensitive position with responsibility for the care, safety and security of people (including children and minors), animals and CSU property; authority to commit financial resources of the university through contracts greater than $10,000; access to, or control over, cash, checks, credit cards, and/or credit card account information; responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access, and access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Education's Family Educational Rights and Privacy and California's Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the University's liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations. Construction site environment often with heavy equipment, overhead and underfoot hazards, active workers, requiring Personal Protective Equipment. Requires ability to walk from one jobsite to another across campus and may require occasional use of personal vehicle.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. While on campus, students, faculty, staff, and the community will be expected to follow all campus safety mandates.
Per the CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy, all students and employees are required to submit their vaccination status to the Otter Vaccination Registry and are encouraged to be vaccinated.
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental and vision plans; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14-paid holidays a year. For more information, visit CSU System Benefits. Additionally, as a perk, the University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability; visit Schoonover Employee Housing for more information.
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at Careers at CSUMB. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics, you can view the notice of availability and access the Cal State University, Monterey Bay annual security and fire safety reports at https://csumb.edu/clery/asr-and-fsr-notices-availability/.
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. We value and celebrate diversity in all its forms and strive to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion. We consider qualified applicants for employment for their anticipated contributions and without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To apply, visit https://careers.csumb.edu/en-us/job/517582/senior-construction-project-managerconstruction-project-manager
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-6585aeebbebd804e8758bae2317d9544