San Marcos, California
Newport Beach, California
San Jose, California
Los Angeles, California
Silicon Valley, California
Los Angeles, California
Fresno, California, California
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Internal Number: 3719006
Biomedical Integration Engineer
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 46695
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 01-31-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Comprising diverse researchers from a variety of disciplines across academic divisions, the UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute leads UC Santa Cruz's efforts to unlock the world's genomic data and accelerate breakthroughs in health and evolutionary biology. Our platforms, technologies, and scientists unite global communities to create and deploy data-driven, life-saving treatments and innovative environmental and conservation efforts, while addressing the most fundamental societal and policy questions.
The candidate will be hired to provide engineering support for a project that aims to advance the automation and remote operation of 2D and/or 3D biological cultures. The team utilizes biocompatible materials, chemical and electrical sensors, microfluidics, and optogenetic control of neuronal activity to learn how brains are made and how to harness the power of neural circuits.
More information can be found at https://genomics.ucsc.edu/
Involves professional engineering and engineering technician support as part of academic instructional lab and / or research projects and programs. Engineering activities include the design, construction, testing of experimental systems, operation of analytical systems, establishment of performance specifications, and documentation. Engineering Technicians may be assigned duties within a single discipline (e.g., electrical) or span a range of disciplines.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $91,850 - $102,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007120 (RSCH AND DEV ENGR 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
70% - Project Development
- Develops integrated systems for biomolecular related research.
- Provides a full range of professional engineering services for a project that aims to advance the automation of biological cultures (e.g., two dimensional cell cultures, three dimensional and organoids growth), automation and remote experimentation.
- Spearheads and demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for system development.
- Designs, constructs, assembles and tests systems using 3D printing and other technologies; develops prototypes that demonstrate scalability.
- Collaborates with other research staff in planning and modifying research design and development.
20% - Project Reporting
- Records results and project outcomes in data repositories, slides, spreadsheets, diagrams, figures, and tables for archiving, reporting, presentation, and manuscript use; may assist with report and manuscript drafting.
- Provides engineering information and advice to Principal Investigators and/or other faculty and research personnel with administrative responsibility for the research program.
- Contributes to the writing of the research papers that incorporate the newly developed systems.
10% - Project Leadership
- Provides direction and guidance to graduate and undergraduate students; develops protocols for regular system maintenance and data collection.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with engineering principles and methods to independently perform the full range of engineering professional design work.
- Strong analytical and judgment skills to independently conduct analyses and develop appropriate recommendations.
- Experience with CAD platforms (Autodesk or equivalent).
- Experience with Finite Element Methods platforms (COMSOL Multiphysics or equivalent).
- Rapid-prototyping experience (e.g., 3D printing, CNC) , which includes taking an idea into CAD design and to physical print, with ability to measure and quantify accuracy and to make relevant edits to the design.
- Demonstrated organizational and decision-making abilities to prioritize competing work assignments in order to meet deadlines and adherence to quality standards.
- Effective verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner; identify challenges and barriers and recommend solutions.
- Master's degree, PhD, or equivalent experience in Mechanical, Material Science and/or Biomedical Engineering or a related field.
- Experience with 3D image reconstructions and post-processing procedures.
- Basic knowledge and skills of medical imaging systems, microscopy, fluorescence imaging and high-speed imaging.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to work remotely from a home office and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency