San Francisco, California
Los Angeles, California
San Diego, California
Los Angeles, California
La Jolla, California
San Diego, California
San Bernardino, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: San Diego, California
Internal Number: 3830544
Superintendent, Maintenance Operations
Posting #: 4469
The mission of the University of San Diego Facilities Management Department is to efficiently operate, maintain, and support the development of quality facilities, grounds, and services, and at the same time to support our campus community, students, faculty, and staff. Through our efforts we support the university's commitment to pursuing truth, academic excellence, and the advancement of knowledge.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
Plan, organize and coordinate the daily activities of the maintenance staff in support of specific routine work, small projects, preventative maintenance, and emergency requests. Assist in the development of long-range maintenance/repair plans for areas of responsibility. Formulate solutions for facility problems, using our USD maintenance resources. In addition to building maintenance, is responsible for operations of the campus central plant, utilities distribution, emergency power generation, fire suppression and alarm systems, campus security systems, emergency 24/7/365 operations support and our campus wide building controls system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the maintenance of all USD facilities (including, but not limited to academic, administrative, and auxiliary building and structures). This will include maintaining such systems as utilities (water, gas, steam, sewer, electrical and mechanical), systems associated with heating, air conditioning and related chillers, fans, pumps, motors, ducting, heat exchangers, electrical systems and control systems.
- Conduct and maintain a preventive maintenance program of scheduled inspection and repair of electrical, mechanical equipment, and other systems, equipment and facilities to assure proper operation and to correct malfunctions before major breakdowns.
- Evaluate maintenance work request, estimates material cost, and purchases or insures that material is available.
- Insure that repairs are completed in a timely manner with tools and material readily available, and advise manager promptly of any problems that cannot be resolved.
- Conduct regular inspections of university buildings and utilities systems. Reports the results of inspections to the central FM office and into our work management system and/or control systems, as needed.
- Hold assigned trades responsible for satisfactory performance of assignments.
- Maintain good working relations with the students, faculty, staff and vendors; adheres to all university policies and procedures.
- Prepare and maintain records of work performed, accounts for labor and material used, and insures all required paperwork is complete.
- Oversee operations of the central plant, campus utility distribution systems and emergency power systems.
- Operate the building automation systems and equipment in accordance with the campus sustainability and energy conservations plans.
- Direct the daily assignments of all assigned trades. Is responsible for the coordination and supervision of skilled trade employees in plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, and building maintenance.
- Act as a leader in preparing campus for special events (such as move-in, move-out, Board of Trustee meetings, large conferences, special sporting events)
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a current and productive training program.
- Participate in the interviewing of new building maintenance employees.
- Prepare written evaluations of the work performance of assigned employees.
- Recommend merit increases, promotions and other personnel actions. When necessary, conduct proper discipline procedures for staff not conforming to campus standards.
- Focus on sustainability, conservation of utilities and energy management.
Budget, Purchasing and Contracts
- Assist in the development of project scope, bid and contract work for maintenance related areas, such as elevator maintenance, water treatment, equipment repairs outside our capabilities, etc. Develop the skills to be able to perform this process independently. Coordinates and controls outside vendor work as required.
- Maintains appropriate cost records and reports.
- Supervises material management - requisitions, purchases of tools, equipment and supplies.
- Participate and offer feedback on design reviews for USD construction projects, working closely with the project managers in Planning Design and Construction
- Continue to stay current with new technologies related to the construction and maintenance trades, learning about new products and procedures to keep our operation current
- Be proficient in our work management system TMA to be fully functional with all desktop and mobile applications, able to train and mentor staff.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Safety and Inspections
- Consistently follows safety practices appropriate to building maintenance and complies with rules and regulations established by the University, and governmental agencies (local, state and federal).
- Maintain an awareness of the typical hazards of the work place as well as the special hazards that may be encountered at any University facility location such as biohazards, low-grade radiation and chemicals known to the State of California to cause, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
- Follows established governmental (local, state and federal) procedures for dealing with special hazards and promptly reports any on the job accident to Public Safety and to the Manager in writing.
- Assures that work conditions are safe and conducive to efficient operations.
- Observes and inspects work while in progress and when completed to insure that specific codes and regulations are followed, materials and equipment are used properly, schedules are met, and work is performed to acceptable standards.
- Responsible for inspecting completed work for conformance to campus standards, code and specifications.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work assigned hours and after hours, as required by the position.
- Must be able to respond after hours for emergencies 24/7, by phone, email or returning to campus, as the situation warrants.
- Must posses a valid California driver's license and will be required to drive University vehicles.
- May be assigned to work in the vicinity of laboratories where biohazards, radioactive or other potentially hazardous substances are stored or used.
- Must continually expand knowledge base in building maintenance techniques.
- Must work individually or in teams coordinating assigned work with other groups and department.
- May be assigned to work at any USD facility/location.
- Assist craft workers from other trades or shops when assigned.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Increasing responsibility in: commercial/industrial/educational facility experience; construction; operation, maintenance or repair of Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing or Architectural systems; Central Plan and/or Utility Infrastructure systems.
- Minimum of 2-years hands-on field work experience in one or more Journey-level trades.
- Five years progressive experience and proven success in the field of supervision and building maintenance of more than one trade.
- Read and interpret blueprints, specifications, shop drawing, schematics manufacturers specifications, and other reference material to determine appropriate job requirements and procedures.
- Degree in a related field or a combination of experience and education.
- Must be computer literate and have the ability to operate business software applications such as MS Word, Excel and CMMS.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to plan and schedule work, including determining staff, equipment and supplies needed.
- Ability to delegate to and hold subordinates responsibly for satisfactory performance.
- Ability to supervise, provide training and evaluate staff.
- Skilled at working effectively with fellow employees, fostering strong working relationships within FM, across the campus community, with municipal officials and with our outside vendors and contractors.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with faculty, administrators, staff and students.
- Knowledge of how to perform routine maintenance of building and utility systems, components, and equipment installed on any university property, in accordance with established maintenance schedules or as assigned by FM leadership.
- Knowledge of how to perform routine maintenance on building and utility systems, components, and equipment in response to trouble calls, minor work orders, or as assigned by FM leadership.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of California and Federal OSHA regulations.
- Knowledge of the principles, practice of organization, management and supervision.
- Physical ability to perform indicated tasks.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
$5,373.34 - $6,162.00 per month ; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: January 24, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496243/superintendent-maintenance-operations
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency