LOS ANGELES, California
Los Angeles, California
Mountain View, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: Stanford, California
Internal Number: 97690
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
The anticipated shift is based on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.
Monday - Friday, 7:45 am - 4:15 pm
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing high-quality services to students and other members of the university community. The department has an annual operating budget of over $350M, operates 24/7/365, and oversees a $3B asset portfolio comprising a 7 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus. In autumn quarter of the 2021-22 academic year, R&DE will return to providing housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serving meals at 17 dining halls, 12 retail locations, and operating athletic concessions and conference operations. Additionally, R&DE comprises 900 FTE staff in the following divisions: Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, Maintenance Operations and Capital Projects, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Information Technology, Human Resources, and Strategic Communications.
"Students (Customers) First" is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, "Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision."
Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE's dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment--it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and all the other characteristics that make us different.
This role is designated as essential and requires incumbents to report to work onsite. Telecommuting is not available for this role.
- Work under general supervision and perform carpentry, automotive, and/or maintenance tasks of substantial complexity with a focus on commercial kitchen equipment maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair.
- Employees in this classification typically work within prescribed procedures but may make unique and innovative modifications as necessary to safely and expeditiously discharge their assigned work.
- Work may be spot checked while in progress or inspected upon completion.
- May work alone, and/or as a member of a crew.
- The duties listed under this section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the classification.
- Carpentry maintenance
- Work from blueprints, sketches, or verbal instructions to construct and repair structural woodwork.
- Lay out work as required.
- Build, repair, and install counters, benches, partitions, floors, doors, stairs, ladders, building framework, etc.
- May repair and maintain roofs.
- Select a specified type of lumber or other material.
- Shape materials to prescribed measurements.
- Install paneling to walls and ceilings.
- Fit and install windows, doors, door frames, etc.
- Construct concrete forms and pouring chutes may do some concrete finishing.
- Select and install various sound insulation materials.
- May perform any of the duties described in the Maintenance Person II specification or other duties as assigned.
- Perform/assist with performing maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair work on refrigerators, ice machines, walk-in refrigeration systems.
- Perform/assist with performing maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair work on the commercial dishwashing equipment.
- Perform/assist with performing maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair work on commercial cooking equipment including steamers, flat tops, stoves, combi ovens.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
- High School Diploma Required
- Demonstrated skills training and work history in performing electro/mechanical work.
- Valid California driver's license
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
[?] Maintenance Person III has all of the qualifications described in the Maintenance Person II specification plus the following qualifications:
- Full working knowledge of procedures and practices in one of the following trades: carpentry, automotive, and/or maintenance, HVAC, electrical, appliance maintenance and repair
- Skilled in the use of the tools, materials, and equipment used in these trades.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Basic math and computer skills.
Certificates and Licenses Required:
- Valid California Class C Noncommercial Driver's License.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class license.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor in all types of outside weather conditions.
- Constantly stand and walk.
- Frequently grasp forcefully, lift up to 20 pounds
- Occasionally kneel, crawl, twist, bend, stoop, squat, climb (ladders and scaffolds), reach above shoulders, use light/fine grasping, lift 21-40 pounds
- Rarely perform seated work, desk-based tasks, use a telephone, write by hand sort/file paperwork, scrub, sweep, chop, mix, lift over 40 pounds,
- Visual acuity including color vision.
- May be required to work overtime, evenings, and weekends, including Holidays, sometimes in inclement weather conditions.
- Required to wear the appropriate uniform.
- May be required to wear PPE.
- May be exposed to radiation or electromagnetic fields, lasers, noise >80db, allergens, biohazards, chemicals, and asbestos.
- May work in confined spaces, at heights from 4 to over 10 feet, and be exposed to hot and cold temperature extremes.
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote a Culture of Safety
- Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/, and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement at
https://cardinalatwork.stanford.ed u/hr-processes policies policies/labor-relations collective-bargaining.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
The expected pay for this position is $42.09 (Step 1) per hour. Placement in the pay range is subject to the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Stanford University provides pay ranges representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for a position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, geographic location, and external market pay for comparable jobs.
Internal candidate rates will be applied based on the CBA language for promotion and transfer.
Why Stanford is for You:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enriches the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or course auditing. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the university will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.