LOS ANGELES, California
Mountain View, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: Monterey, California
Type: Full Time
Lower and Middle School Teacher Assistant
Santa Catalina School is a vibrant, independent, Catholic school offering student-centered co-education to PreK through grade 8 and an all-girls’ boarding and day college preparatory upper school serving grades 9 through 12. Santa Catalina exists to develop in each student a striving for excellence, a maturing awareness of moral and spiritual values, a sense of responsible purpose, and a determination to serve the world with courage, grace, and compassion. With the cornerstones of excellence, spirituality, service, and responsibility, the school is committed to providing a supportive learning community for each student to grow in their intellectual, personal, and spiritual life, making Santa Catalina a transformational educational experience for its students.
Santa Catalina School, a nationally recognized, independent, Catholic, school in Monterey, California, seeks an innovative, dedicated, and student-centered Lower and Middle School Teacher Assistant for the 2023-2024 school year. The Lower and Middle School is composed of over 200 PreKindergarten through eighth grade students, whose dedicated faculty and staff collaborate to design and deliver a dynamic learning environment. This is a unique opportunity to join students and teachers who joyfully and actively engage together in creating values-based, intentional community. The Lower and Middle School teacher assistant will join a highly collaborative and dedicated faculty that are committed to strengthening and enriching learning through innovative teaching methods that enable students to identify and solve problems, bridge content across traditional “subject” domains, and develop an unshakable growth mindset.
The Teacher Assistant will be responsible for supervising students, assisting with lesson planning, preparing lesson materials, and maintaining classroom tidiness. In this role you will aid in preparing, constructing, and maintaining materials for the classroom. The successful candidate must enjoy working with children and be devoted to building a nurturing and safe learning environment.
Santa Catalina School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
- Help prepare the classrooms during faculty work week prior to the opening of school
- Complete all of the year-end responsibilities before leaving for summer vacation
- Assist with small group language arts or math activities under the teacher’s supervision
- Assist individual children with following directions and available on an individual basis for academic and emotional support
- Assume responsibility for recess and lunch duties on a regularly scheduled basis and occasionally cover teachers when circumstances require their help
- Overseeing students during non-classroom times including in-between classes, during lunch recess, and field trips
- Actively participate in all class activities
- Interact with both parents and children
- Required to attend the following school functions outside of normal work day:
- New Student Orientation
- Family Picnic
- Back to School Night
- Pumpkin Olympics
- Open House
- Christmas Concert
- Spring Concert
- New Student Buddy Barbecue
- Pursue professional development to maintain expertise in performance of teaching responsibilities and promote the sharing of best practices with other members of the school’s faculty community
- Show genuine concern for students; demonstrate deep investment in student learning and success both in and out of the classroom
- Manage student behavior in and out of the classroom by enforcing rules and procedures
- Participate in and support the life of the school through various duties as assigned Attend and engage in department, school, and parent meetings
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of two years experience as a teaching assistant or similar role
- A commitment to the mission and identity of Santa Catalina School
- A desire to participate fully in the Santa Catalina community
- Successful completion of a LiveScan criminal background check as required by law
- Demonstrated use of relevant technology to support instruction
- Excellent writing, communication, and public speaking skills
- Approachable and welcoming demeanor
- Cultural competence and enthusiasm for working with a diverse and dynamic community
- Strong interpersonal skills, including good listening, humor, tact, and intuition
- Ability to create responsive, caring, and appropriate relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Strong organizational and record-keeping skills and digital literacy
- Ability to assess and respond to the needs of the school and act as a representative of the school
- Commitment to professional growth and education
- This position does not supervise other employees
Working Conditions and Compensation
- Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time each day
- Ability to access buildings and facilities throughout a 36-acre campus, with reasonable accommodations, in order to meet with students and faculty
- Work in a school environment with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and people
- Additional time is required beyond a normal day or week for evening and weekend meetings
- Santa Catalina School offers competitive insurance and retirement benefits
- Pay range: $20 - $25 per hour depending on experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
Santa Catalina School is an equal-opportunity employer. Employment at Santa Catalina School is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, disability, marital status, or any other category protected by the law.
Interested candidates should visit our website to complete and submit an application, resume, and cover letter:
Electronic submission of candidate papers in .pdf format is preferred.
Santa Catalina provides reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities. Applicants who need accommodations to participate in the application process should contact Maria Chavez at email@example.com.