Costa Mesa, California
Santa Cruz, California
Newport Beach, California
La Jolla, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: Pasadena, California
Internal Number: 4041369
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Deep Learning Assistant Software Engineer will work at the AI+Science Lab led by Prof. Anima Anandkumar at Caltech, a mission-driven multi-disciplinary environment creating cutting-edge AI methods and applying them to a wide range of scientific domains ranging from weather/climate modeling, material design and manufacturing, protein design, and autonomous drone flights.
The Deep Learning Assistant Software Engineer will assist in training large-scale AI foundation models for science and engineering and use their skills to create lasting benefits for humanity. They will create open-source frameworks for scientific domains and help Professor Anima Anandkumar expand AI for science.
The successful candidate will interact with the scientific community at Caltech and other universities, as well as national labs and industrial partners.
The Deep Learning Assistant Software Engineer will organize and conduct new deep learning algorithms, build workflows, ensure the best hardware performance, define APIs, analyze functionality coverage, and perform other general software engineering work. The ability to work in a dynamic, research environment with excellent interpersonal skills is critical for success in this role since it involves guiding/mentoring student engineers and collaborating closely with others. The successful candidate will also be expected to promote the developed software frameworks and cultivate an open-source community to encourage adoption and further contribution.
Essential Job Duties
- Deploy basic algorithms for deep learning and create industrial-scale libraries.
- Construct and curate large problem-specific datasets.
- Analyze and improve the performance of GPU implementations.
- Keep up with the latest DL research and collaborate with diverse teams.
- Publish state-of-the-art results and open-source and engage with the community.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related area.
- 3 years of relevant scientific research experience.
- Extremely strong mathematical fundamentals and algorithm skills or experience.
- Professional experience with Deep Learning Frameworks, especially PyTorch.
- Excellent programming, debugging, performance analysis, and test design skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Outstanding communication and documentation habits.
- Master's in Computer Science, AI, Applied Math, or a related field.
- Moderate research project experience doing performance analysis and tuning.
- Moderate research project experience training large-scale foundation models, especially pipeline/model parallelism.
- Exposure to HW architecture, ideally accelerators, and to numerical software.
- Excellent C/C++ and Python programming skills.
- GPU programming (CUDA).
- Statement detailing software experience
- Links to open-source repositories authored
This position is eligible for a remote work option, subject to institutional review and adherence to the Institute's policies.
- An approved remote work agreement is required.
- In accordance with Caltech's remote work guidelines, responsible for having a designated work area (home office) and for any costs related to remodeling and/or the initial setup of such designated workspace.
- Equipment needs for remote work are determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Experience with Zoom and other similar video/web conference software required.
- Report to the office as necessary by operational needs.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://hr.caltech.edu/work/job_openings
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency