San Diego, California
San Diego, California
La Jolla, California
La Jolla, California
La Jolla, California
Fresno, California, California
Newport Beach, California
La Jolla, California
Silicon Valley, California
San Jose, California
Newport Beach, California
Solana Beach, California
Location: Scotts Valley, California
Internal Number: 4053542
FAST/AP Assistant 3
Location: Scotts Valley
Job ID: 51298
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 04-12-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Under the general direction of the Director of Accounting Services, the Financial Administrative Services and Transactions department (FAST) operates as part of Accounting Services, within Financial Affairs. FAST provides technical and professional accounts payable services to the University of California Santa Cruz campus and its vendors/suppliers.
Under the direction of the FAST Team Supervisors, the incumbent is responsible for specific accounts payable functions and provides customer service to the campus and over 60,000 vendors. The Accounts Payable Assistant position requires extensive knowledge of the Financial Information System (FIS) Banner system and the ability to work well with a variety of campus customers and vendors. The FAST Assistant uses the following resources extensively: various campus web sites, the UC Accounting Manual, Business and Finance Bulletins and FIS Banner. Comprehensive knowledge is required of FIS Banner and the policies & procedures associated with Purchasing (i.e. unit blankets, purchase authorizations, quick requisitions, conflicts of interest) and Accounts Payable (i.e. check write processing, the travel program, and direct payments). The incumbent should also be familiar with Purchasing cards and various best practices and restrictions related to their use.
Major functional areas:
Divisional and Departmental Support and Service: Primary contact with assigned departments and divisions regarding processing and status of vendor payments and disbursements.
Reimbursements/Vendor Payment: Ensure timely and accurate reimbursements to end users and payments to vendors; provide training, guidance and support to vendors that provide goods and services to the campus. Serve as a liaison between unit, central office and vendor. This responsibility includes ensuring that University of California policies and procedures are adhered to.
Procedure Development: Assist in the development and implementation of effective campus accounting procedures related to disbursements.
Training and Guidance: In collaboration with the Accounts Payable staff, provide ad hoc consulting advice and guidance to campus units. Within the context of the responsibilities of the FAST Office, the Accounts Payable Assistant is expected to perform the following duties:
* Provide customer service and direction to units consistent with campus and University objectives and policies.
* Work in an efficient, organized and ethical manner.
* Exercise careful stewardship over University funds.
* Effectively manage time.
* Communicate appropriately and effectively with others.
* Work constructively with others towards achieving unit and campus objectives.
Budgeted Salary: $26.12/hour
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation rate for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted rate. The salary shown above is the rate the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 3
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Scotts Valley
Union Representation: CX Union
Job Code Classification: 004722 (BLANK AST 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
70% - Reimbursements/Vendor Payment; Vendor Consultation and Customer Support Services
- Ensures payments are processed according to University accounting principles, and campus policies and procedures. These processes include:
- From properly authorized direct pay, entertainment, and travel forms, complete Direct Payment transactions in FIS Banner, ensuring compliance with University and campus policies and verifying that appropriate supporting documents are provided.
- Review documents for compliance with California sales and use tax regulations.
- Analyze payment, tax and encumbrance transactions. Provide guidance and prepare correcting journals, as needed.
- Schedule payments per vendor, purchase order or other contractual terms and conditions.
- Identify necessary updates to the FIS Banner vendor database.
- Facilitate positive resolution of payment issues with vendors, faculty, staff and students.
- Review purchasing card statements for program compliance and sales tax accruals.
- Participate with other team members to provide consistent superior service to divisions across campus.
- Provide guidance and information on questions and issues regarding specific transactions, procedures and general campus inquiries.
15% - Team Member Support
- Serve as backup for other FAST Team members, as needed.
- Solve problems regarding service levels to divisions as appropriate; work in conjunction with Team Supervisors to solve problems that may escalate.
- Review trends and identify anomalies affecting service level to divisions; make recommendations to FAST Supervisors.
- Provide ad hoc ProCard support, as needed.
15% - Training and Guidance, Procedure Development, Fiscal Closing and Miscellaneous
- Assist with filing, mail distribution and other functions that contribute to the operating effectiveness of the FAST office.
- Provide supervisor and other team members with recommendations for process changes. Identify and report FIS Banner system inconsistencies.
- Participate in system testing and analysis.
- Provide guidance to campus units during fiscal closing.
- Relevant experience demonstrating the ability to apply complex University, Federal, or State agency policies and procedures.
- Experience working in Accounts Payable within a complex business environment using an integrated data processing system.
- Experience implementing and interpreting accounts payable related policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate diplomacy, discretion, and tact in relations with co-workers, university administration, government agencies, staff, and support personnel.
- Experience working in a customer service environment with the ability to provide service to clients and vendors In a courteous and professional manner.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to learn and adhere to internal control principles and systems.
- Successfully undertake multiple, concurrent responsibilities in an organized and methodical fashion and think creatively and innovatively when problem-solving.
- Proficiency in the use of standard spreadsheet, database, word processing, and financial information software.
- Experience using the Banner Financial Information System.
- Knowledge of University of California accounting and business policies.
- Working knowledge of college and university fund accounting and financial reporting, financial accountability and internal controls.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Will be required to work all scheduled hours on-site.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency