Costa Mesa, California
Santa Cruz, California
Newport Beach, California
La Jolla, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: Pasadena, California
Internal Number: 4061854
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
As a member of the project management team in the Facilities Operations Department, the Project Manager reports to the Director of Maintenance Management within Facilities Operations and Services.
The Project Manager's primary responsibility is for the management of facilities infrastructure and major utilities upgrade projects which are critical to the routine laboratory functioning of the Institution. The role involves working on complex projects that directly effects Divisions and Departments throughout the campus and requires thorough knowledge of project management best practices from project inception through project close-out and a working knowledge of facilities operation in a campus setting.
Duties include but are not limited to conducting comprehensive research on project needs, integrating project functions within the framework of ongoing activities within the Institute, advising customers on complex project plans, overseeing design and construction of multiple projects, preparing budgets, schedules, scopes of work and status reports. In addition, this position is responsible for assisting in developing construction contracts; assist in managing the bidding process and contract award, project documentation, invoices, change orders, commissioning, and close-out of the projects. The Project Manager must maintain close working relationships with management, Institute clients and outside professionals.
Essential Job Duties
- Oversee all aspects of the project, which includes, but is not limited to, construction, contractors, costs, quality, timeline, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other Divisions/Departments in developing project scope and associated project cost related details.
- Oversee/direct all necessary documentation in preparation for bidding and manage the bidding process in collaboration with the Procurement Officer.
- Provide design and construction administration support, coordinating with engineering consultants and in-house staff to review construction documents, submittals, RFIs, and field observation reports.
- Establish budget estimates and ensures projects are delivered within budget constraints.
- Develop complete project schedules and ensure that projects are delivered on time.
- Establish and manage construction progress through meetings, consultations and field observations. Review and approve the design and construction for adherence to Caltech design standards, project specifications, and local and government standards and requirements.
- Prepare progress and financial reports for all on-going projects.
- Advise customers on complex project plans; effectively manage customer expectations during the planning, execution, and closure of projects by anticipating challenges and developing contingency plans accordingly.
- Identify and correct quality issues and program budgets during the different stages of the project.
- Ensure maintenance of complete and accurate files suitable for audit purposes on all projects.
- Provide construction support, coordination with contractors, facilities management personnel, and customers.
- Perform other related duties as assigned including Emergency Operation Center Support when required.
- BA/BS, preferably in engineering, construction management, architecture or other related disciplines or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 5 years' work experience in project management or construction management of new building, renovation and/or utility projects.
- Project Management Professional certification or Certified Construction Manager required or obtained within 12 months.
- Complete OSHA 10-hour Construction Training within six months of employment and refresher training every four years.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required, as is the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management and other professionals.
- Proficient in the use of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and project management software.
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs., walk half a mile unaided, climb ladders and stairs, and enter and leave excavations for the purpose of observing and planning work.
- Institutional and Higher Education project experience is preferred.
- State of California licensed professional is desirable.
- LEED AP or LEED GA certification required or obtained within 12 months.
- AiM Capital Planning and Project Management (CPPM) or other project management systems experience preferred.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://hr.caltech.edu/work/job_openings
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency