Job Seekers, Welcome to CBIA Career Center
Active Advanced Search Filters: (Click to remove)
Use this area to filter your search results. Each filter option allows for multiple selections.
Search Results: 8 JobsCreate Alert
Loading... Please wait.
The Claremont Colleges Services
Loading... Please wait.
Location: Palomar Mountain, California
Internal Number: 4135524
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Overtime Eligible
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
This position is full-time, benefited, and located at Palomar Observatory in San Diego, CA. This position reports to the electronics group supervisor. Under limited supervision, this position is responsible for the maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, and upgrade of observatory electrical systems, including basic electrical circuits, industrial power systems, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems (HVAC), refrigeration units, uninterruptable power supplies (UPS), and other similar systems. This position is expected to hold and maintain a current C-10 Electrical Contractor license and understands all applicable electrical codes relevant to the observatory. This position will participate in the strategic long-term planning of observatory electrical system upgrades.
Essential Job Duties
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair observatory facility electrical systems, including standard commercial building electrical systems, industrial high voltage electrical systems, UPS units, and other electrical components. 50%
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks on existing observatory electrical systems. 30%
- Participate in the long-term strategic planning of observatory electrical system upgrades. Fabricate new electrical equipment as part of these upgrades. 10%
- Other duties as assigned, which may include telescope operation, snow/ice abatement, diagnosis of telescope and/or dome mechanical problems, etc. 10%
- This position primarily interfaces with technical and engineering observatory staff.
- High School education or equivalent.
- C-10 Electrical Contractor license or equivalent.
- 4+ years of licensed electrician experience.
- Knowledge of all applicable codes related to facility electrical systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise of, and safe practice with, electrical power systems, both AC and DC up to 480 Volts.
- Installs new circuits and equipment.
- Installs conduits, cables, pull boxes, transformers, switches, and other related equipment required in making additions, extensions, or alterations in electrical systems, or in new construction.
- Repairs and replaces defective parts in motors, generators, pumps, storage batteries, switchboards, controllers, switches, and other related equipment.
- Troubleshoot industrial and motor control circuits involving relays, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and other industrial control components and systems.
- Able to read, interpret, correct, and update blueprints as well as wiring and schematic diagrams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Expected to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment with mountain staff, visitors, and vendors.
- Understands basic construction and mechanical principles.
- Basic computer and software skills.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work safely in confined or elevated environments.
- Ability to safely work at 5,600-foot altitude.
- Basic knowledge of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.
- Basic knowledge of refrigeration and liquid cooling systems.
- Basic knowledge of digital electronics.
- Basic knowledge of motion control systems.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://hr.caltech.edu/work/job_openings
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary faculty and students seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future.
More Jobs from This Employer
Loading. Please wait.
For assistance please contact Customer Service at 888.491.8833 x 1629 | email@example.com