Costa Mesa, California
Santa Cruz, California
Newport Beach, California
La Jolla, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: Los Angeles, California
Internal Number: REQ20132929
As the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism embarks upon a new era of facilities maintenance and Â development, we are searching for an enthusiastic and organized Facilities Operations Manager (FOM) to lead our dynamic and collaborative Facilities Operations team.
The successful candidate will have a record of success in improving processes and services and maintaining and developing high profile facilities and will work closely with functional leaders, operational units, and subject matter experts to maintain critical infrastructure to support the schoolâs academic programming.
The Facilities Operations team provides physical operations support to faculty and staff offices, common spaces, students and instructional spaces. The Operations team oversees the maintenance and upkeep of Annenberg buildings, manages physical access, schoolwide storage and oversees the cleaning, upkeep and maintenance of the schoolâs facilities. In addition to managing regular operations, the office is responsible for disseminating USC campus COVID policies/guidelines for operations and ensuring that school facility resources are managed and support user and policy requirements.
The FOM is responsible for overseeing the physical maintenance and support operations of USC Annenberg buildings at all locations (ANN, ASC and KER) ensuring that all components of our daily operations meet the highest level of maintenance and upkeep.Â This includes security, custodial and infrastructure. The FOM will provide leadership and supervisory responsibilities to the facilities coordinators and administrative support team. Additionally, the FOM will manage and execute assigned renovation projects from initial program development through project completion and construction.
The role is expected to be onsite Monday - Friday and work from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. This role is not OT eligible and will be expected to work after-hours to provide essential services and address systems troubleshooting, support, and maintenance.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Assumes day-to-day management and supervisory responsibilities for the Facilities Operations staff and provides daily direction to ensure Annenberg and University objectives are being met.
- Supervises four full-time staff; a Facilities Coordinator, two scheduling and events administrators and one administrative operations coordinator.
- Provides clear and efficient status reports of ongoing tasks and maintenance issues associated with the upkeep of the schoolâs facilities
- Coordinates with University departments and/or outside contractors and vendors on facilities operation and maintenance issues; coordinates and resolves custodial concerns; conducts daily inspections of facilities.
- Develops and implements deferred maintenance and preventative maintenance programs.
- Drafts and/or produces correspondence, memorandums, and emails based on knowledge of the University and Annenberg facilities operational policies and procedures.
- Manages faculty and staff office moves, furniture modifications, repurposes offices and common spaces; partners with architects, contractors and end users to achieve optimal design and operational use.
- Develops and manages the Facilities Operations budget and budgets associated with assigned construction projects
- Creates and updates plans for multi-year projects.
- Oversees space analysis and equipment inventory.
- Maintains current emergency preparedness plan for Annenberg, ensuring all contacts and plans are current
- Leads the schoolâs emergency management efforts and teams, including the Building Emergency Response Team (BERT) and Department Operations Center (DOC).
- Works with the University to schedule required Emergency Preparedness training and annual drills.
- Manages assigned construction projects from programming to project closeout and provides reports as requested.
- Works in tandem with Annenberg and University teams (Annenberg Deans and Directors and USC Capital construction/FPM).
- Pursues continual skills development through online training, industry publications, and attending educational conferences, symposia, and training seminars.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Experience managing full-time staff
- Excellent project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and prioritize simultaneous requests, while communicating and managing in a 365 environment
- Must demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Must demonstrate ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization
- Ability to critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract high and low-level information to a general understanding, and identify and decipher user requests
- Ability to assess the impact of new requirements on the schoolâs systems and processes
- Demonstrated supervisory experience in facilities management that includes time management and application of problem-solving skills.
- Bachelors degree 5+ years of experience in facilities coordination/management for an academic school, institution or company
- 5+ years of experience managing medium-sized institutional construction projects and budgets
- Ability to build consensus and facilitate effectively
- Demonstrated ability to work with and manage the expectations of diverse stakeholders
- Working knowledge of energy management, predictive and preventive maintenance best practices, regulatory compliance, environmental regulations and applicable Fire, building and construction code
- Must be positive, flexible and adaptable in the face of changing priorities and fluctuating workloads
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Microsoft 365 and other relevant job related software
- Experience interacting and communicating with senior administration and faculty
Applications should be submitted via usccarreers.usc.edu and should include the following:
Resume or CV and a cover letter, (Our system will allow you to add additional documentation by clicking the âuploadâ button in the same section where you attach your resume.)
If you are a current USC employee, please visit the Career Worklet on theÂ Workday HomepageÂ and select âFind Jobsâ to view USC Jobs.
- This is a full-time staff position.
- The annual base salary range for this position is $105,000 - $107,000. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidateâs work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations."
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of (5) five business days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended, so please apply on the same business day if interested.
- USC has excellent benefits, including health and dental benefits for staff and their family with access to the renowned university medical network; eligibility for retirement plans; tuition benefits for staff and their family; central Los Angeles location with easy access to commuter trains, transit subsidy program, buses and free tram pick up services; discounts to sporting and other campus events.
About the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism
Located in Los Angeles at theÂ University of Southern California, the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism is a national leader in education and scholarship in the fields of communication, journalism, public diplomacy and public relations. With an enrollment of more than 2,200 students, USC Annenberg offers doctoral, master's and bachelor's degree programs, as well as continuing development programs for working professionals across a broad scope of academic inquiry. The school's comprehensive curriculum emphasizes the core skills of leadership, innovation, service and entrepreneurship and draws upon the resources of a networked university located in the media capital of the world. For additional information, see our website: https://annenberg.usc.edu/.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email atÂ email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of theÂ Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for HiringÂ ordinance.
Minimum Education:Related undergraduate studyCombined experience/education as substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience:2 yearsMinimum Field of Expertise:Coursework and/or experience in business administration along with work experience in facilities managementPreferred Education:Bachelor's degree