Costa Mesa, California
Santa Cruz, California
Newport Beach, California
La Jolla, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: Los Angeles, California
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: 4618
Dentons US LLP is currently recruiting for a Discovery Project Manager to support our West Coast Case Teams. The Discovery Project Manager will act primarily as a consultant for firm case team members across a broad spectrum of issues related to process and technology. The Discovery Project Manager will work directly with attorneys, paralegals, and other practice support team members to deploy and utilize litigation support tools and technology in an appropriate, cost effective and efficient manner. Discovery Project Managers must have a “hands on” approach to project management and will be responsible for providing consultative, practical, and technical support in budgeting, workflow and database design, as well as the review and production processes throughout the discovery lifecycle, and across a suite of litigation/practice support tools and technologies.
- Provide consultative, practical, and/or technical litigation application support to case teams on a day-to-day basis.
- Promote departmental resources and capabilities.
- Broaden departmental audience and footprint by cultivating relationships with firm partners and other legal staff.
- Draft, provide, and explain matter-level budgets and cost proposals.
- Train and otherwise increase the technical and practical awareness and knowledge of legal support staff relating to the firm's litigation-based applications and best practices.
- Promote and utilize supported applications, tools, and processes for consistent and efficient results and deliverables.
- Assist in the design, configuration, construction, and maintenance of litigation-specific databases; Troubleshoot application and databases issues as required.
- Identify opportunities to leverage advanced technologies and processes that introduce efficiencies and cost savings to the discovery process.
- Track all pertinent matter-related information (e.g., data deliveries, media details, documents processed, loaded, and/or produced, data exceptions and issues, etc.) by following internal protocols and utilizing internal tracking methods.
- Track scheduling, progress, and completion of all matter-specific assignments; prepare status and other reports at case team request.
- Serve as the primary contact in resolving software/hardware issues related to e-discovery or litigation support applications and database issues.
- Provide customized search and reporting support as needed.
- Produce quality work product that is comprehensive, accurate, and responsive to case team requests.
- Communicate clearly and effectively to clients, colleagues, and all other firm staff regarding all aspects of matter-related work, timelines, objectives, and obstacles, and solutions.
- Provide general vendor or 3rd party provider support as necessary, including the scheduling and coordinating of work, creating technical job specifications for handling of electronic data, and overseeing the quality and timelines of all deliverables.
- Implement and assist in the development of departmental and matter-specific quality control procedures.
- Stay current on e-discovery and litigation support tools and technologies, industry standards, and best practices.
- Utilize firm procedures and resources appropriately to ensure efficient delivery of work product.
- Adherence to all firm data-related and confidentiality standards.
- Perform other duties, responsibilities and special projects as assigned or requested.
- Complete daily billing time records in an accurate and timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned to fully meet the requirements of the position.
Experience & Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an e-discovery or litigation support Project Manager role is required.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a law firm or professional services environment. Litigation Support or E-Discovery experience is required.
- Undergraduate degree preferred.
- Relativity certification (RCA, RCU, and Analytics) is required.
- Expertise or experience with BrainSpace, Trial Director, and/or Opus2 are strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to effectively execute and manage projects.
- Ability to communicate technical or other complex topics in a simple, easy to understand and act upon manner is required.
- Experience with consulting on the proper and cost-effective uses of technology to support litigation efforts, with an emphasis on best practices throughout the full EDRM lifecycle. Particular emphasis on designing efficient and sensible review and production workflows using advanced technologies is required.
- Demonstrate teamwork, cooperation, and collaboration with colleagues and other firm staff as needed.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, colleagues, and all other firm staff.
- Demonstrate organizational skills and effective use of time with the ability to plan daily work, set priorities, and manage time to ensure work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to adapt to the ebbs and flows of firm case team work and departmental workloads.
- Ensure dependability to departmental and firm management by being present and prepared for work as scheduled, appropriately using PTO policies, and otherwise working with management to schedule exceptions as needed.