San Diego, California
San Diego, California
La Jolla, California
La Jolla, California
Fresno, California, California
Newport Beach, California
La Jolla, California
Silicon Valley, California
Newport Beach, California
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
San Jose , California
Location: Oakland, California
Internal Number: 4203761
Real Estate Investment Officer
Location: OaklandFull Time
Job ID: 47116
UC OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
At the University of California (UC), your contributions make a difference. A world leader producing Nobel and Pulitzer prize recipients with over 150 years of groundbreaking research transforming the world. Choose a career where you can leverage your knowledge, skills and aspirations to inspire and support some of the greatest minds in the world, and those who will follow in their footsteps. Working at the University of California is being part of a unique institution, and a vibrant and diverse community. At the University of California, Office of the President, we propel our mission through impactful work locally, in government centers and systemwide. We are passionate people, serving the greater good.
The University of California, one of the largest and most acclaimed institutions of higher learning in the world, is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and public service. The University of California Office of the President is the headquarters to the 10 campuses, six academic medical centers and three national laboratories and enrolls premier students from California, the nation and the world. Learn more about the UC Office of the President
The Office of the Chief Investment Officer (UC Investments) is responsible for managing the University of California's retirement, endowment, working capital, and cash assets under the policies, guidelines, and performance benchmarks established by the Regents. Our mission is to implement those policies and guidelines by selecting, executing, and monitoring investment strategies designed to add value over the benchmarks within a risk-controlled framework. The Office adheres to high ethical as well as professional standards in serving the investment management needs of its constituency and the Chief Investment Officer has full investment discretion while the Regents retain responsibility for Asset Allocation and Investment Guidelines.
The Investment Officer Real Estate will report to the Co-Heads of Real Estate and will work collaboratively with the Office and the Private Investments team to implement the Real Estate strategy. UC Investments seeks an Investment Officer that is able to focus on the $3 billion Open Ended Funds and Separately Managed Account portfolio. The role will be responsible for monitoring investments with managers as well as directly with companies. The Investment Officer will perform related research and work with the Co-Heads of Real Estate to achieve the best risk adjusted returns.
65% PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
- Maintain active involvement with assigned investments. This includes attending annual or board meetings, reviewing quarterly financial statements and understanding any significant valuation changes or policy changes. Attend additional meetings on behalf of the Real Estate team as needed. Be able to speak in depth about each assigned investment.
- Work with the co-heads of Real Estate to write clear and concise independent investment recommendations based on due diligence.
- Take lead role in legal negotiations and investment closings to ensure the Regent's policies are adhered to in the process of negotiating legal documents. Be able to provide comprehensive industry feedback and sound guidance to the management teams or General Partners as necessary. Lead restructuring of a Fund if necessary, by collaborating with fellow Advisory Board members and the General Partner.
- Prepare and maintain standardized reports on investments in the portfolios, as well as those under consideration, and make recommendations for decision-making purposes.
- Conduct fundamental research and analysis in the due diligence process to identify and monitor the performance of investments.
- Monitor fundamental research and identify industry trends and market intelligence and communicate the findings of such insights to the Investment groups.
- Provide research and analytical support as needed. Lead projects and assignments, as requested.
- These projects may include but are not limited to providing performance attribution, creating presentation materials, project management and drafting memos and letters.
- Demonstrated proficiency at relationship management and the ability to build and utilize extensive personal network of industry contacts to source new investment opportunities and share industry best practices. Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to interact with others in a consistently positive manner, exercise discretion and tact, and gain consensus in an environment where others may have strongly conflicting ideas and goals.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to identify critical information; the ability to quickly research and collect pertinent information, to integrate essential information, and use that information to define and test options and alternatives; as well as the demonstrated ability to develop recommendations and justification for the most productive course of action. This requires insightful and creative skill in reasoning and logic, and in quantitative analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, including the demonstrated ability to articulate ideas and issues clearly concisely, and persuasively to a variety of audiences and prepare and/or edit complex reports involving logical and quantitative analysis, so that it is clearly understandable by both technical and lay readers and effectively advances and justifies a specific proposal or set of recommendations.
- Ability to generate both qualitative and quantitative independent analysis. Plan and manage projects in their entirety and ensure they are delivered on time. Having the ability to know the right questions to ask both internally and externally to seek desired information or understanding.
- Ability to clearly articulate investment decision process and results to the Co-Heads of Real Estate and Chief Investment Officer in a timely fashion. Ability to independently prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to use good judgment when to seek advice or help from the Co-Heads of Real Estate.
- Demonstrated sound investment judgment.
- Ability to make investment decision with incomplete information.
- Ability to develop investment forecasts and modify decisions based on updated forecasts and changing data points.
- Ability to demonstrate proficient portfolio construction skills on a specific geography for the Private Equity portfolio.
- Ability to provide guidance and supervision to other team members. Work in a collaborative and consultative environment despite skills that would allow for independent decision making.
- Ability to know when to act independently on decisions and when to share and seek feedback as a team. Work collaboratively across the Private Investment Team.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- MBA/CFA degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training preferred.
This position is currently eligible for a within California hybrid work arrangement. The selected candidate may be required to report to work onsite in Oakland, as business needs dictate.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary: $205,000 -- $231,000, commensurate with experience. (MSP Grade 46)
Benefits: For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: Benefits of Belonging
HOW TO APPLY
Please be prepared to attach a cover letter and resume with your application.
APPLICATION REVIEW DATE
The first review date for this job is 01/24/23. The position will be open until filled.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Background Check Process: Successful completion of a background check is required for this critical position. Background check process at UCOP
Smoke Free Work Environment: The University of California, Office of the President, is smoke & tobacco-free as of January 1, 2014. UC Smoke & Tobacco Free Policy
August 2021 Update: The University of California has issued a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 before physically accessing the University location or programs. Upon hire into a UCOP position, you will be provided detailed instructions on how to comply with this policy including access to the COVID vaccination at no cost. New hires to UCOP who work onsite or will come onsite for any activities at a UCOP or other UC location must comply with this policy within 8 weeks after their start date. The policy allows for employees to request approval for an exception or deferral. UC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. EEO/AA Employer UC Nondiscrimination Policy
The University of California, Office of the President, strives to make this job board accessible to any and all users. If you have comments regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at: Accessibility or email the Human Resource Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucop/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=19&JobOpeningId=47116&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency