Costa Mesa, California
Santa Cruz, California
Newport Beach, California
La Jolla, California
Los Angeles, California
Location: Berkeley, California
Internal Number: 4209505
Reserve Manager, Angelo Coast Range Reserve in Mendocino County (8211C) 53414
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The Angelo Coast Range Reserve is a 8051 acre natural area in Northern Mendocino County 4 hours north of the Bay Area and 30 minutes from Laytonville. The Reserve has a rugged topography with dense stands of old growth Douglas fir and redwood, which grades rapidly through mixed hardwood forest to chaparral at the higher elevations. Access to most of the boundaries is difficult to non-existent.
Under very general direction and with supervision of the Reserve Director, this role will perform day-to-day maintenance operation of the Angelo Coast Range Reserve. Incumbent will set own daily work schedule and maintenance priorities. This includes maintenance for all Reserve buildings, the grounds, and operation of vehicles and equipment, as required.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 6/5/2023
- Ensure maintenance of 20 structure totaling some 16,000 sq ft., including electrical, plumbing,construction, roofing, painting, installation and repair of appliances, cleaning, laundering
- of supplied linens/towels, clearing of trash, garbage, compost, recycling, supplyingfirewood for wood heated structures
- Ensure maintenance of the grounds around all structures, including mowing, clearing of brushand trees
- Ensure maintenance of 7 miles of natural surface road providing access inside the reserve. Includeshauling and spreading gravel, maintenance of ditches, culverts, water bars, brushingalong roadside, clearing of fallen trees
- Ensure maintenance of 3 solar systems providing power to reserve structures
- Ensure maintenance of 3 water systems providing potable water to living quarters
- Ensure maintenance of a complex system of solar powered radio repeater sites (trees used as towers)widely scattered across the reserve to provide internet service to the reserve. Includesclimbing trees, maintaining rigging of trees, hauling batteries, troubleshooting ofnetwork equipment
- Ensure maintenance of 15 miles of trail
- Patrol for and remove invasive plants along the S. Fork Eel River and in reserve meadows
- Ensure the proper running condition of 4 reserve vehicles, including a backhoe, dump truck and two trucks
- Patrol the borders of the reserve
- Search and rescue should a researcher/student or member of the public become lost
- Provide logistical support to researchers as needed and as time allows. May include construction/installation of research apparatus
- Live on or near the site year round and be available (or, in coordination with the Faculty Director, arrange for backup responders) 24/7 should it be necessary for the comfort and safety of reserve visitors and smooth functioning of the reserve.
- Administer a calendar (RAMS) which involves responding to applications and reservation requests, scheduling all researchers and classes, communicating/responding to all scheduled classes and researchers about their needs, about reserve rules and expectations for conduct while on site, and invoicing classes and researchers post visit.
- Ability to read, write, and perform basic arithmetic calculations, including the ability to Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Demonstrated ability to perform semi-skilled building maintenance work.
- Valid CA Driver's License
- One year experience as a Building Maintenance Worker, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html&source=gmail&ust=1674324686328000&usg=AOvVaw2GpIWYW1GodaOMhx7gsK4r' href='https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=4209505&targetURL=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html' style='font-variant-ligatures:normal; text-align:start; white-space:pre-wrap; color:blue; text-decoration:underline' target='_blank'>Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $28.45 [step 1.0] - $39.81 [step 18.0]
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
The primary work location for this position is at the Angelo Coast Range Reserve in Mendocino County, 30 minutes from Laytonville.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=53414&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency