Marina del Rey, California
Los Angeles, California
San Diego, California
Fresno, California, California
La Jolla, California
Los Angeles, California
Redwood City, California
San Francisco, California
Location: Berkeley, California
Internal Number: 4217724
Plumber Pipefitter (8191C), Facilities Services - 53773
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
Facilities Services works to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the University community to ensure that classrooms, laboratories, and offices support teaching, learning and research. Through the efforts of over 400 dedicated staff members and serving over 10M building square feet and 1100 acres, Facilities Services includes the asset management program, custodial services, maintenance operations, engineering and technical services, environmental services, grounds operations, the Cal Zero Waste program.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 7, 2023
- Responsibilities include the installation, alteration, maintenance, and repair of plumbing systems, fittings, fixtures, on-campus buildings, and facilities which are performed by University skilled craft employees in projects requiring the highly specialized skills of the plumbing craft.
- Plumbing work includes understanding and planning the methods and procedures required to complete installation and repair work on campus piping systems, including utilities underground, and in high-rise buildings.
- Prepare isometric drawings in detail showing measurements and materials with information obtained from blueprints and verbal instructions.
- Fabricate a wide variety of campus piping systems and related components.
- Install and repair Campus utilities and academic research systems as follows, but not limited to: gas lines, heating systems, sewer systems, vent systems, acid-waste systems, water lines, backflow prevention systems, fire systems, and other components.
- Consult lead/supervisor/or project superintendents who administer requirements and standards for modification projects.
- Support maintenance projects and programmatic work assignments.
- Keep accurate work records and complete paperwork in a neat and timely manner.
- Define and describe materials, tools and/or equipment, work methods, and task sequences.
- Serve as liaison with clients, relaying their needs and requirements to the appropriate department or superintendent.
- Obtain materials and equipment.
- Adhere to all university and departmental safety guidelines.
- Attend job-related and safety training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have four years apprenticeship or equivalent work experience and demonstrate three years journeyman experience in craft-related trade.
- Skill and ability to operate pipe machines, drills, sewer cleaning equipment, grinders, and other hand and/or power tools needed to perform skilled-related job tasks.
- Skill to select and utilize correct tools, techniques, and methods for handling specific piping projects by applying thorough knowledge of codes and the skills of a craftsperson.
- Demonstrated ability to join dissimilar metals using the proper methods, techniques, and materials.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (sewers, manholes, crawlspaces, and under floors) and to gain access to areas that normally require stairs and ladders to perform job tasks.
- Ability to safely move supplies and objects up to 75 pounds with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and the ability to interact in a positive manner with the campus community, including students, building managers, academic personnel, and craft personnel, in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to track jobs to completion and prioritize requirements; able to work and support shutdowns and project schedules to minimize interference with others.
- Ability to read information from equipment manufacturers' manuals, service requests, layout sketches, blueprints, appropriate state, and local government codes, trade-specific manuals and practices, and to determine how the fixture or equipment should perform.
- Knowledge of relevant building codes and regulations.
- Ability to communicate clearly over the telephone and two-way radio.
- Ability to execute all job assignments in a timely manner.
- Must be able to adhere to Facilities Services work rules and Code of Conduct.
- Must be available to respond during emergencies, work on-call, rotating swing shifts, and holidays.
- The employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines/instructions.
- Four-year apprenticeship or equivalent training/experience.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html&source=gmail&ust=1674324686328000&usg=AOvVaw2GpIWYW1GodaOMhx7gsK4r' href='https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=4217724&targetURL=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html' style='font-variant-ligatures:normal; text-align:start; white-space:pre-wrap; color:blue; text-decoration:underline' target='_blank'>Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $64.80 (step 1.0).
- This is a 100% full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is non-exempt and paid bi-weekly.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Skilled Crafts Unit (KB) between the University of California and the Alameda County Building and Construction Trades Council (ACBCTC). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/kb/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=53773&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency